Brian Seaman focuses his practice on complex products liability, mass tort and commercial lending litigation on both the state and federal levels.
As a trial attorney, Mr. Seaman has:
- defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a high-profile products liability trial pending in Pennsylvania
- defended an exercise equipment company in a series of product defect cases involving significant personal injury to users
- represented a national metal and aluminum company in a wrongful death action resulting from exploding truck parts
- defended an industrial client in an action regarding potentially inadequate or defective safety apparatuses for use by visitors at a commercial facility
- obtained a full defense verdict for a development corporation in an action involving a plaintiff claiming significant personal injuries resulting from defective construction materials
- obtained a highly favorable settlement during the trial of a matter involving novel legal issues relating to property rights in cadavers and emotional distress caused by outrageous treatment of a corpse
- defended a provider of Internet-based services in a copyright infringement trial involving unique legal issues relating to technology and web-based services
- obtained a defense verdict in an arbitration matter involving a breach of contract in a construction action
AREAS OF REPRESENTATION
Mr. Seaman has represented clients in the areas of:
- Products Liability – involved in numerous products liability cases, including pharmaceutical products, industrial and medical equipment, heavy duty truck wheels and in-home exercise equipment.
- Mass Tort – represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in two major mass tort matters, both of which involved deleterious effects caused by drug products. Mr. Seaman has also been involved in a variety of toxic tort cases involving alleged exposures to fumes created by welding rods.
- Intellectual Property – served as co-counsel in a lengthy copyright infringement trial pending in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. This major jury action involved claims against an Internet service provider for alleged infringement of protected material.
- Mortgage and Real Estate – preparing and arguing motions involving foreclosure of properties, despite accusations of fraudulent business practices, which resulted in summary judgment on behalf of our client (published opinion at Mortgage Electronic Systems, Inc. v. Earnest Taylor, No. 2004-SU-291-Y06, Court Of Common Pleas of York County, Sept. 7, 2007). Mr. Seaman also defends real estate developers against claims of mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.
- Catastrophic Personal Injury – defended numerous large-scale personal injury matters involving automobile and premises liability accidents. Mr. Seaman also regularly defends manufacturing and industrial organizations against severe injuries suffered on their facilities.
In 2012, The Legal Intelligencer recognized Mr. Seaman as a “Lawyer on the Fast Track.” This award, which recognizes future leaders in the legal community, is given to only 35 attorneys across the entire state of Pennsylvania. In addition, Super Lawyers® – the “ultimate guide to the top lawyers in Pennsylvania” – has named Mr. Seaman a “Rising Star,” an honor received by only 2.5 percent of Pennsylvania lawyers each year. Rising Stars are chosen by their peers as being among the top up-and-coming lawyers in the state.
Mr. Seaman was recently selected by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity to the organization’s 2013 Fellow Program. The year-long program is designed to elevate the professional development of high-performing attorneys by developing professional branding, relationship building and transformational leadership.
Outside of the office, Mr. Seaman is active in many arts and professional organizations throughout the area. These organizations include:
- Wilma Theater - Mr. Seaman is a member of the board of directors of this professional regional theater devoted to developing local artists and themes and creating theatrical productions of original material. At the Wilma, Mr. Seaman founded the Young Friends of the Wilma Theater program, which encourages young people in the Philadelphia area to attend and appreciate live theater. He is also a member of the planning committee for the Wilma Theater’s annual gala.
- Mazeppa Productions – Mr. Seaman is the managing director of this Philadelphia-based musical theater company that Philadelphia Weekly recently wrote “gives just cause to be very optimistic about the future of Philadelphia stage.” Mazeppa produced in the summer of 2012 the Philadelphia-resident premiere of "Spring Awakening."
- GALLOP - Mr. Seaman is an active member of this professional organization devoted to equality and diversity in the legal community.
- The William Way Community Center - Mr. Seaman is a volunteer at the center, which is the premiere LGBT Community Center serving the Philadelphia region.
- Philadelphia Gryphons Rugby Club - Mr. Seaman is a proud member of this Philadelphia-area rugby team.
While in law school, Mr. Seaman worked with the Pittsburgh Disability Legal Clinic, which provided free legal services to individuals living with HIV and AIDS.