Joseph Rossi focuses his practice on all aspects of intellectual property matters that relate to the chemical and pharmaceutical arts, including patent prosecution, patent validity and infringement studies, client counseling and patent litigation. His clients include small, medium and multi-national technology-based companies.
Mr. Rossi’s experience includes:
- developing and implementing patent strategies
- preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications in the areas of chemical, pharmaceutical and packaging technologies
- providing freedom to operate, non-infringement and invalidity opinions
- managing U.S. and international patent portfolios, including performing technology evaluation and assessment
- performing intellectual property due-diligence reviews and analyses
- mediating disputes regarding inventorship between parties to joint-development agreements
- handling all aspects of intellectual property litigation
A significant portion of Mr. Rossi’s practice entails working for clients on-site as in-house counsel. In this role, he manages patent portfolios and works directly with product development teams to plan patent and business strategies in view of clients’ competitors’ patent rights.
Throughout his career, Mr. Rossi has worked in a wide range of technical fields including organic, inorganic and polymer chemistry, silicon polymer chemistry, pharmaceuticals, chemical process technologies, lipid chemistry, peptide chemistry, chemical additives, electrochemistry, food sciences, surface sciences, packaging technologies, catalysts, industrial gases and lithography.
Before beginning his legal career, Mr. Rossi was an organic chemist by training and then worked as a product development chemist for specialty chemical companies where he gained practical technical experience in paper coating technologies, lubricants, microelectronics cleaners, rheological modifiers, polymeric dispersants and foams.
He was included in the 2014, 2013 and 2012 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, regarded as a definitive guide to legal excellence in the United States. Selection for Best Lawyers is based on a peer-review survey in which more than 1.8 million individual evaluations are reviewed
Prior to joining Stradley Ronon, Mr. Rossi was a partner at a Philadelphia-based intellectual property law firm.