John Baker focuses his practice on investment management, brokerage and banking issues, representing mutual funds and their boards of directors/trustees, investment advisers, broker/dealers, banks, hedge funds and other participants in the financial markets.
Mr. Baker’s recent representations include:
- providing on-going advice to fund boards on SEC and other legal and regulatory developments
- assisting SEC-regulated entities comply with current anti-money laundering and identity theft requirements
- advising on compliance with the Investment Company Act of 1940 and banking law restrictions on transactions with affiliates
- preparing a guide for broker-dealers and investment advisers on the privacy requirements of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and its implementing regulations
- coordinating the acquisition of a mutual fund complex and negotiating buyouts of service provider contracts
- updating a fund family registration statement to comply with new Form N-1A provisions - the first fund family in the country to comply
- establishing a number of public and private investment funds, and representing funds in leveraged buyouts and other investment activities
- acting as primary counsel for a startup bank insurance agency, coordinating bank positions on cutting-edge legal issues and obtaining insurance agency licenses in spite of state laws prohibiting bank insurance sales
Mr. Baker is the moderator of FundLaw, which provides email news reports and subscriber discussion of securities law and related developments, especially legal issues relating to registered investment companies and investment advisers, hedge funds and other private investment vehicles, and investment management generally. He has also presented at a number of conferences and seminars on current securities law developments.
Prior to joining Stradley Ronon, Mr. Baker was senior counsel for BankBoston, N.A., where he was the primary legal advisor to the bank in its role as investment adviser to mutual funds with more than $9 billion in assets.
Following a clerkship with the Hon. Boyce F. Martin Jr. of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Mr. Baker was an associate and of counsel with a Massachusetts law firm. He also served as the former vice president and general counsel of Child World, Inc., a 151-store toy retailer.