William Mahoney represents financial institutions and businesses of all sizes in a broad spectrum of complex corporate and commercial litigation. Mr. Mahoney routinely represents national and regional broker-dealers, investment advisors, banks and other financial institutions in litigation, regulatory inquiries and enforcement actions. He frequently appears before the NASD, NYSE, SEC and other governmental agencies and self-regulatory organizations. Mr. Mahoney has also counseled and represented mutual fund complexes in various matters, including SEC and state attorney general inquiries into market timing and related issues.
In addition to his securities litigation practice, Mr. Mahoney represents corporate, institutional, nonprofit and insurance company clients in sophisticated legal matters, including antitrust and unfair competition, class actions, employment and labor disputes, health benefit claims under plans governed by ERISA, provider disputes, copyright infringement and intellectual property, computer software licensing, insurance coverage and bad-faith disputes.
Mr. Mahoney has tried to conclusion many trials and arbitrations, including:
- obtaining a multi-million dollar award on behalf of a broker-dealer client against a competing firm for unfair competition
- defending a national brokerage firm against a customer's fraud claims in a week-long trial in federal court
- defending a regional broker-dealer against claims brought by a former broker for fraudulent inducement and other torts
- defending a national insurer in a week-long ERISA coverage trial
- representing a national entertainment franchise in a premises liability matter
- representing a national computer retailer in a contractual dispute with an Internet service provider who was seeking millions of dollars in damages
When not practicing law, Mr. Mahoney is an active participant in his community. He was on the board of directors for the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Philadelphia and Southeastern Pennsylvania for many years, serving as its president for two years. In addition, Mr. Mahoney has also served on the board of directors and as an officer of the Abington Educational Foundation. He lives in Abington, Pa., with his wife and two sons.