Karl Myers maintains a diverse legal practice:
- Insurance Litigation and Regulatory Counseling – Mr. Myers has broad experience counseling insurers in coverage litigation and regulatory matters, including advising insurers with respect to complex coverage issues, bad faith exposures and taxation disputes. He routinely represents insurers at the trial and appellate court levels, and has acted as counsel for amicus curiae insurance industry trade groups in the U.S. Supreme Court and in the Pennsylvania Supreme and Commonwealth courts. Mr. Myers also has represented receivers and creditors in matters involving insolvent insurance companies, including in both insurer rehabilitation and liquidation matters.
- Appellate Litigation – As a former law clerk for a justice of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Mr. Myers is an experienced appellate advocate, having briefed and argued numerous precedent-setting appellate cases, including before the Pennsylvania Supreme, Superior and Commonwealth courts; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; and the Delaware Supreme Court.
- State Government Litigation – Mr. Myers represents Pennsylvania's General Assembly, Senate and House of Representatives and their leadership in a wide variety of cases arising primarily under the Pennsylvania Constitution, and has appeared on their behalf on numerous occasions before the Pennsylvania Supreme and Commonwealth courts.
- Pennsylvania Right-to-Know Law Litigation – Mr. Myers advises and represents clients in disputes arising under Pennsylvania’s new Right-to-Know Law, including third parties seeking to protect their rights in connection with the law. Mr. Myers appeared as hearing counsel for certain third parties in the first-ever public hearing of record held during proceedings before the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records, and also has briefed and argued Right-to-Know Law disputes before the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court.
- Political Law Compliance – Mr. Myers advises and represents clients from diverse industries with respect to political law matters. He counsels entities and their political action committees (PACs) and provides campaign contribution advice. Mr. Myers also advises clients confronting the “pay-to-play” boundaries on contributions by government contractors, as well as respecting lobbying disclosure requirements. In addition, Mr. Myers advises clients respecting casino gaming laws and regulations. In connection with his political law practice, he routinely interfaces with relevant agencies, including the Federal Election Commission and Pennsylvania Department of State.
- General Litigation – Mr. Myers has handled trial court litigation from inception through jury verdict in various types of disputes, and has significant experience litigating commercial, construction and surety matters. He has represented clients in cases before all of the state and federal courts in the five-county Philadelphia region, as well as in other jurisdictions. Additionally, Mr. Myers frequently sits as a certified arbitrator in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County.
Mr. Myers is active with the bar and in his community. In 2013, he was named executive chairman of the Center City Legal Initiative for the American Red Cross, Penn-Jersey Region. In this role, Mr. Myers works with the Red Cross and Philadelphia law firms to coordinate blood drives, increase blood donorship among area law firms and recognize firms for their blood drive successes. In addition, he served as co-counsel to the election transition team for Montgomery County, Pa., Commissioners Josh Shapiro and Leslie Richards. Mr. Myers also serves as a reviewer in the Investigative Division of the Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention of the Philadelphia Bar Association, a body that evaluates the qualifications of judicial candidates. He has also served as a member of the Environmental Advisory Committee for Montgomery Township.
In 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010 Super Lawyers® – the “ultimate guide to the top lawyers in Pennsylvania” – named Mr. Myers a “Rising Star,” an honor received by only 2.5 percent of Pennsylvania lawyers each year. Rising Stars are chosen by their peers as being among the top up-and-coming lawyers in the state.
Prior to joining Stradley Ronon, Mr. Myers was associated with another law firm. Before that he served as a law clerk for the Hon. Russell M. Nigro of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. Mr. Myers previously worked for the Hon. Yvette Kane of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, the Hon. John T.J. Kelly Jr. of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania and the District Attorney’s Office of Montgomery County.
In law school, Mr. Myers was a member of the Dickinson Law Review, the Appellate Moot Court Board and the Woolsack Honor Society. He also received the Scribes Brief Writing Award for a submission judged regional “Best Brief” at the ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
Read full bio »