Brian Cocca focuses his practice on drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical fields. His areas of technical expertise include immunology, cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, formulation chemistry, diagnostic assays and medical devices. He also has specialized knowledge of antibody structure and genetics and recombinant antibody expression. His experience includes counseling biotechnology and pharmaceutical clients in all aspects of product development, patent procurement and portfolio development strategies, risk management strategies, and patent invalidity and non-infringement assessments, as well as research agreements and licensing strategies.
Brian has drafted and prosecuted patent applications in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and mechanical arts, with the subject matter of those patents including vaccines, biomolecules, genomics, plants, pharmaceutical formulations, detergents, diagnostics and medical devices.
In addition, he counsels clients in various aspects of intellectual property management, including IP due diligence, freedom to operate opinions, invalidity opinions, non-infringement opinions, in-licensing and out-licensing strategies, and patent enforcement.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Brian worked in biomedical research, focusing on the genetic and structural basis for B cell autoreactivity against phospholipid and nuclear antigens in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
He has also authored articles published in peer-reviewed scientific journals:
- Radic, M.Z.; Cocca, B.A.; Cline, A.M. Apoptosis in the Induction of Autoimmunity. In Frontiers in Autoimmunity. Zouli, M., Ed. IOS Press, Inc.: Burke, VA, 2003; pp 144-167
- Cocca, B.A.; Cline, A.M.; Radic, M.Z. Blebs and apoptotic bodies are B cell autoantigens. J. Immunol. 2002, 169(1), 159-66
- Cocca, B.A.; Seal, S.N.; D'Agnillo, P.; Mueller, Y.M.; Katsikis, P.D.; Rauch, J.; Weigert, M.; Radic, M.Z. Structural basis for autoantibody recognition of phosphatidylserine-beta 2 glycoprotein I and apoptotic cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2001, 98(24), 13826-13831
- Cocca, B.A.; Seal, S.N.; Radic, M.Z. Tandem affinity tags for the purification of bivalent anti-DNA single-chain Fv expressed in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr. Purif. 1999, 17(2), 290-298
- Radic, M.Z.; Cocca, B.A.; Seal, S.N. Initiation of systemic autoimmunity and sequence specific anti-DNA autoantibodies. Crit. Rev. Immunol. 1999, 19(2), 117-126