Stradley Ronon’s banking practice comprises experienced lawyers who take a pragmatic, efficient and results-oriented approach to representing and assisting banks and other financial services providers. Our financial services team counsels clients in connection with complex and challenging regulatory, consumer, corporate governance, litigation, securities and transactional matters.
The clients that rely upon our banking & financial services attorneys include regional and super-regional banks, community banks and thrifts, credit unions, mortgage lenders and brokers, and other financial services providers. We have also served as special counsel to national industry associations and various state organizations with respect to banking-related matters.
The foundation of our banking practice is its recognized capability to advise and assist clients in all aspects of their legal operations – from evaluating and aiding a client’s regulatory compliance to assisting with potential transactions. We regularly advise clients on:
Bank Regulatory, Legal & Compliance Matters
- Participating extensively in the representation of our clients before the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Office of Thrift Supervision, National Credit Union Administration and Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as many state banking, insurance, securities and other regulatory agencies.
- Handling supervisory enforcement actions, regulatory applications, interpretation and application of federal and state law, and providing analyses and commentary on regulations proposed by federal and state regulators.
- Preparing and reviewing compliance and other risk management manuals and procedures with respect to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-money laundering and Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations.
- Conducting compliance audits and creating compliance and training programs for applicable personnel.
- Preparing and reviewing board memos and other materials, and attending board meetings.
- Reviewing periodic SEC reporting, assisting with preparation of proxy statements and prospectuses, as well as registrations and other federal and state filings for securities offerings.
- Conducting complex investigations on behalf of boards of directors, board committees and management.
Securities & Financial Institutions Litigation
- Handling all aspects of financial services litigation and alternative dispute resolution, whether in court, before a regulator (or regulatory agency), or in arbitration or mediation.
- Addressing complex tax planning and tax controversy issues.
Transactions – Mergers & Acquisitions, Debt & Equity Offerings, Tax-Free Financings
- Structuring, negotiating, closing and handling all aspects of complex mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions and joint ventures, including purchases and assumptions, branch purchases and sales, interstate mergers, and other strategic acquisitions.
- Handling all aspects of securities (debt and equity) offerings, including preparation of proxy statements and prospectuses, registrations, and other federal and state filings for securities offerings.
- Structuring, negotiating and closing tax-free financings.
- Creating and investing in specialty projects such as affordable housing limited partnerships, tax-credit partnerships, community reinvestment loans and equity investments, tax lien financings, and other opportunities for financial services firms.
New Product Development
- Strategizing and counseling on new product development, including new private banking and consumer credit products, and drafting and reviewing consumer disclosures and contracts.
Employee Benefits & Compensation
- Handling all aspects of employee benefits and compensation matters.
- Strategizing and counseling on governmental affairs, business development and lobbying initiatives
- anti-money laundering and OFAC controls
- corporate governance
- employee benefits compensation
- FCPA, international compliance and risk management
- federal, state and foreign regulation
- government affairs
- institutions litigation
- internal investigations
- new product developments
- securities and financial
- securities compliance
- transactions including:
- capital markets, swaps and securitizations
- debt and equity offerings
- lending and other credit products
- mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures
- nondeposit products
- tax-credit and specialty financial investments
- tax-free financings