Ratemaking & Advocacy
Our team has substantial experience advocating for revisions to ratemaking policies, rate structures and utility tariffs related to infrastructure upgrades and effective cost recovery. We have also represented clients before regional transmission organizations and independent system operators on matters of market design, cost allocation, and recovery and market rules, including litigation before the regulatory bodies on tariff modifications.
Energy Transactions & Structured Deals
We have worked on all aspects of energy procurement, use, conservation and generation, including:
- formation and construction of an oil transshipment facility on a brownfield power plant site
- citywide LFG and biogas energy loop system
- distributed energy systems that provide resilient primary and backup power for sensitive facilities such as hospitals, wastewater treatment facilities, pharmaceutical R&D labs and chemical production plants
- solar and other renewable power systems to take advantage of grant and tax programs contributing to the cost-effectiveness of these technologies, including one of the largest solar production systems in California
- large-scale landfill and biogas facilities used to power wastewater treatment plants, energy plants at industrial parks, and combined heat and power facilities at ports and chemical plants
- wide range of energy-related agreements, including wholesale transactions and bilateral agreements, power purchase and tolling agreements, and refinery joint ventures
- numerous energy asset and equity transactions valued in excess of $2 billion, including all aspects of regulatory approval from FERC, DOE and state public utility commissions for Fortune 200 companies
- co-location of innovative energy projects that have synergies with local refineries for use of NGLs
We have extensive experience working with clients on responding to RFPs for energy efficiency projects in both the public and private sectors. We have specialized knowledge with respect to performance guarantees, and how best to define and quantify the energy savings at the heart of these ESCO and P3 deals. In addition, Stradley’s energy lawyers have assisted large regional health care and religious facilities in the strategic purchase of energy and in the installation of cutting-edge technologies that reduce consumption.
Working collaboratively with clients and our Government & Public Affairs group, we help develop comprehensive legislative, regulatory and policy strategies, and provide insight to help companies analyze and strategically manage their commercial plans, in order for them to thrive in a tightly regulated environment. In addition, we work as a team with clients and consultants to provide meaningful public and community outreach, a process that can prevent or minimize conflict and project delays.
We pride ourselves on carefully listening to our clients’ needs and recognizing and understanding their commercial goals, which allows us to develop effective solutions. Using our roster of clients and industry contacts, we link entrepreneurs with funders, create joint ventures for large-scale facility development, and enhance our clients’ opportunities by integrating them into the energy economy and connecting them with our other industry contacts.
Our professionals have experience across an array of industries, including:
Electricity and Natural Gas Retailers – Our lawyers have represented some of the nation’s largest retailers of electricity and natural gas to end users, as well as load-response providers that can increase revenues and decrease costs for end users through innovative curtailment strategies.
Health Care – Our health care clients have benefited from the resiliency and efficiency of combined heat and power facilities to create their own electricity which enables them to thrive during outages.
Manufacturing – We work with our large industrial and commercial clients on system resiliency, energy efficiency and strategic power-purchasing needs – enabling our clients to comprehensively evaluate their energy usage to find creative and cost-effective mechanisms to decrease consumption and/or utilize distributed energy systems. Our clients benefit from lowered costs of production with CHP and solar systems, integration of energy efficiency practices and specialized bulk-energy purchasing strategies.
Solid Waste – Our solid waste clients have recognized large gains associated with the sale of landfill and biogas into private pipeline systems as fuel-for-energy assets at government offices and chemical production facilities, while realizing substantial tax benefits.
Site Selection – We help match corporate facility requirements with our inside detailed knowledge of regional development sites targeted for energy and manufacturing operations.
Utility – Our utility clients have seen their dormant assets revitalized into oil transshipment ventures, creating value from converting dead-coal rail loops into bustling unit-train receiving facilities.